"My life is to be lived to the fullest. My legacy to be carved throughout history. My heritage is to be a treasure of next generations".

March 17, 2012

Overture To Guci From "Dari Sebuah Guci".

This is the first piece I've composed wholly since 2008. After years of doing arrangement and fragment while expanding my ability to create in the manner of orchestra, I felt that it is time to put everything I've learned to create a wholly original piece of my own once again.

This is an overture commissioned by a producer of a book. The book itself is a collection of short story depicting Indonesia's pluralism and humanity, in problems and serenity. The book contains 18 short stories with one music soundtrack to each of it. I was responsible for 5 stories and an overture.

The overture was originally planned to be recorded by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in London, but then due to some problems the itinerary changed to the Warner Bros. Scoring Studio by Hollywood Studio Symphony Orchestra in Los Angeles.

Given only 3 minutes as the maximum time window for the overture, I composed it incorporating a couple tunes from the 18 songs of the book combined with some new tunes I added myself. This piece takes extraordinary high techniques to play especially in the strings sections, for the so many speedy passage combined with the irregular rhythmic patterns that keep changing in a very quick pace. I tried to make the atmosphere so various to take the listener through a journey that represent all the character of the whole book: heroic, magical, grandeur, solemn, playful, rage, and passionate.

Enjoy!



1 comment: